Annual Retreat Ceremony of Light Offering
Inspired by the legend of “The Miraculous Lamp”, Quan Am Nam Hai Monastery organizes the Annual Retreat Ceremony of Light Offering and Compassionate Meditation Retreat, every year, on December 29th, 30th, and 31st. The purpose of this retreat is:
- to welcome the New Year and to pray for world peace – may the world we live in be free from all disasters, war, crime and hatred.
- to pray that the sick be healed, and that all afflictions end for all beings, and that they be able to transform retribution and karmic debit.
- to encourage everyone to have respect, understand, and love to one another, and protect life and the environment, and build a Pure Land here, on earth.
Therefore, during the three day retreat we will be cultivating compassion and accepting and releasing our past mistakes in order to renew ourselves through the practices of sitting meditation and recitation of the Great Compassion Mantra, doing 500 prostrations as we touch the earth, reciting the name of the Great Compassionate Avalokiteshvara Bodhisattva, listening to Dharma talk, and engaging in tea meditation.
There are three ways you can participate in the Retreat Ceremony of Light Offering:
- Attend the three day retreat for the transmission of the Light, and authentically make the offering to the Buddha in ten directions. (Although, the Lamps we use are made to burn for three days, miraculously, sometimes they will continue to burn even after the fifth day.)
- If you cannot attend the retreat, then humbly make a donation in order to request at least one Lamp for each individual, for the blessing.
- At a minimum, try to attend the last day of the retreat at 7:30 PM for the Lantern Lighting Ceremony and welcome the New Year, at which time we will have the Burning of Aspiration Vows for the New Year Resolution Ceremony. We highly encourage you to participate.